Feeling a little sluggish after the holiday meals? This is my simple and easy home remedy for digestion and water retention. I usually take it late in the morning and never exceed a cup a day for a short duration when I feel it is necessary.
A month ago I had a pretty bad dry cough, I made this drink and it also helped to soothe the sore throat and get rid of the “dryness” we often encounter here in Vancouver during the winter season.
I remember as a child we had a lot of barley drinks particularly in the hot summer months, the taste and the feeling of comfort is deeply ingrained in my memory.
Same as any other herbal remedies, please use sparingly and according to your needs. Pay attention to your body’s reactions and always check with your physician if you are unsure.
1 litre of filtered water, 1/3 cup of red barley, 1/3 cup of pearled barley, 1 medium singo (korean singo) pear and small handful of goji berries (optional)
- Peel and core the pear, then cut into chunks
- Rinse and clean the barley, you can mix them together
- Put all ingredients in large pot and bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid, store in glass container and refrigerate after it cools down
- Can be served hot or cold; I prefer to take it as a hot drink
- Store barley in tightly sealed glass container in refrigerator